Considering the rate at which hackers are increasing, your home wireless network is just not safe! To ensure that no unauthorized user is able to break into your network, it is recommended that you change the password of your Netgear Nighthawk router. What happened? Tried changing the default password of your device but failed? Oops! Looks like you need our help!
Walkthrough the steps mentioned below and learn how to troubleshoot the issue at hand. But, first, let’s talk about the factors that might be stopping you from changing the password of your WiFi router.
Reasons Why You Can’t the Password of Your Netgear Router
Here are some of the most common reasons preventing you from changing your WiFi router’s password:
- Poor internet connection
- Your router isn’t connected to the modem
- Outdated or corrupted firmware
Now that you’re well aware of the reasons stopping you from securing your home network, follow the below-given steps to fix the issue.
Troubleshooting: Can’t Change Nighthawk Router’s Password
Update the Firmware of the Router
One of the major reasons why you’re facing issues while trying to change the password of your Netgear router is an outdated firmware. To troubleshoot the issue, perform a Netgear router firmware update right away!
- Follow the step-by-step guidelines mentioned below and know how:
- Configure the hardware of your Netgear Nighthawk router.
- Open an internet browser on your PC.
- Perform Netgear router login and go to Settings.
- Look for the Firmware Update option.
- Found? Good. Now, follow the on-screen instructions to update your Netgear device.
Note: You can also log into your device to update the firmware by accessing 192.168.1.1.
Properly Connect the Router and Modem
A poor internet connection is another reason that might be stopping you from changing the default password of your router. Do you know why your internet connection is poor? Well, because the connection between your Netgear Nighthawk router and modem is unstable.
Therefore, make sure that the connection between your WiFi devices is hulk-like. Do not even think about connecting your devices wirelessly. Instead, connect them using an Ethernet cable. There’s nothing wrong with connecting your devices wirelessly. It’s just, using an Ethernet cable is a safer option in comparison.
After following these troubleshooting steps, perform Netgear Nighthawk login and try to change the password of your WiFi router.
Steps to Change the Password of Your Netgear Nighthawk Router
The below-mentioned instructions will help you in changing the password of your home router:
- Power on your Netgear Nighthawk router and plug it into a wall socket.
- Before proceeding, make sure that the power LED light has become stable.
- Then, turn on your PC and open up Google Chrome or any other web browser.
- Type routerlogin.net in the address bar and hit Enter.
- Once the router login page appears, enter the default routerlogin net login details.
- Click on the Log In button.
- Once logged in, click on Settings > Wireless Settings.
- Under the Password field, enter the new password that you want your router to have.
- Hit Apply and wait for the changes to get saved.
Note: Considering that you’ve changed the password of your router, all your connected devices will be disconnected from the WiFi network. This means that whenever you will try to connect a device to your Netgear Nighthawk router, you’ll be asked to enter the new password.
Reset Your Netgear Router
If you are still baffling with the same issue, then the only way to get rid of it is to perform the Netgear router reset process.
Before you reset Netgear router, it is important for you to be aware of the fact that the Netgear router reset will erase all the personalized information and data on your Netgear router including username and password. So, it is recommended to take the backup of all the customized settings of your Netgear router prior to resetting.
To reset your Netgear router, do the following:
- Turn on your Netgear router.
- Disconnect your currently connected modem/ router, PC, laptop or mobile device from your Netgear router.
- Locate the Netgear router reset hole and push it using a pin or a paper clip.
- Hold the router reset hole for a couple of seconds and release it.
- Thus, your Netgear router resets successfully.
The Bottom Line
Thus, this was all about how to fix the ‘can’t change the router’s password’ issue. We hope that this post helped you in resolving the issue and successfully changing the password of your WiFi router. Now, you can easily secure your home wireless network from unauthorized users. To share your experience, feel free to comment in the section below.
That’s all! So, these were some of the best yet effective fixes to resolve “Ethernet port not working on Netgear router” issue. Just in case, if you are still struggling with the same issue, feel free to get in touch with our finest technical experts.
To revamp your WiFi experience, add a Netgear WiFi range extender to Netgear router. Just perform Netgear extender setup and see the difference.