While hosting a video conference is quite simple today, there are still some requirements regarding tech equipment and software. Arranging a video conference is easy, although hosting a successful and high-quality video call requires some preparations. Even when you decide on a video conferencing platform to use in your work or studying, you will need to prepare certain equipment for everything to run smoothly.
It is important to realize that there are different types of online conferences, and they might require certain amounts and types of equipment. It is also easier than it sounds, and everyone can start a video call quickly or create a designated room with all the tech ready at all times. In this article, you will learn about the basic equipment necessary for video conferencing.
Equipment Needed for Video Conferences
These are the typical gadgets necessary for hosting a decent video conference.
Many devices have a built-in camera. They include laptops, tablets, and smartphones. It is possible to use such cameras, especially if you are calling a colleague one-on-one. Phone conversations have lover requirements overall, and a front-facing camera on mobile should be enough. However, if you are using your computer to host a team meeting or do not have a camera, it is important to have this piece of equipment.
Of course, all cameras vary in price and quality. However, you might not need the best camera ever to arrange a nice conference. Keep in mind the following features when choosing a camera:
- Video resolution – your camera should support a 720p format at the very least to provide a decent image.
- FPS rate – this one stands for the number of frames per second. To put it simply, a high rate results in a smooth video. You should look for 30 frames at least.
- Automatic focus – this is a convenient feature that will make sure that you are not blurry regardless of your distance from the camera.
- Light auto-correction – this is not an essential feature, but it can be useful in case you do not have special lighting.
Even though most computers and portable devices have speakers, it is recommended to use headphones for better sound. However, in case you are in a conference hall with other people, it is possible to use high-quality audio equipment instead of providing everyone with headphones. Make sure that in such situations, there are clear and loud enough speakers to cover all the space so everyone can hear it. Another option apart from headphones is a headset. This is a piece of equipment that combines headphones and a mic. This solution is great for clear sound for both you and the other person or people on the call. Here are some things to consider when choosing headphones or headsets:
- Type of headphones – there are a few different designs of headphones to choose from. They include in-ear, over-ear, on-ear, and more. If you are picking a model for yourself, use your preferences. When choosing a set of headphones for the team, it is important to pick the most convenient and versatile option.
- Connectivity – headphones can be wired or wireless. Each type has its pros and cons, so choose wisely.
Having a nice quality mic is incredibly important. Everybody needs to hear you clearly and without surrounding noises. Some equipment has built-in mics, but not all of them are good. Microphones on your headset and even basic headphones can be good in case they do not pick up too much noise from the environment. However, mics included in cameras and laptops are usually not that good. In this case, you can always buy a separate mic to have a clear sound.
One of the key benefits of video conferences is the ability to see all the speakers clearly. To achieve this though, it is important to choose a proper display for your specific needs. There is a variety of screens you can use, each having its advantages. Here are some of them:
- Computer screen – this is a great starter display as you will not have to purchase a separate screen and can simply use your PC. However, this option is good for one-on-one calls and meetings where all speakers have their computers and screens.
- Laptop – this one is similar to the PC option, although laptops provide great mobility. Using laptops for video calls is great on business trips and such.
- TV screen –using big TV screens is a popular practice in companies. Equipping a conference room with a decently sized screen will allow everyone around the table to see the speaker clearly as well as presentations and other illustrative content.
- Projector – this solution allows for hosting as many video conference viewers in one place as possible. Projectors are used in business and education alike, providing a big and accessible image of the video call.
- Smartphones and tablets – they are not the most convenient options usually, but more casual calls and one-on-one meetings can be held using smaller devices, especially if you are on the go or somewhere out of the office.
The main requirement for a display screen is knowing your needs and the number of people joining the call. Use separate screens in case there are many viewers and you do not have a big enough screen yet.
Having an Internet connection is obligatory for online video calls. It is crucial to have a stable connection, especially if you are watching a live conference and not a pre-recorded webcast. It is truly worth investing in high-quality Wi-Fi equipment so your devices used for video conferences are always connected.
Best Brands of Video Conferencing Equipment
In case you do not know where to start, it is best to look through some equipment produced by the most reliable companies. Certain brands offer top-quality hardware for video conferencing purposes in different price ranges:
- Dolby Laboratories
- Lenovo, etc.
Of course, there is plenty of equipment to choose from. Start with the basics to build an efficient video conferencing setup.